Aug 28, 2006

OK Go watch this amazing video!

Please watch the OK Go treadmill video, a very, very interesting music video for the band's song, "Here it Goes Again." Yes, it's another choreography video with them in cool clothes, but this, I feel, lives on it's own. As the video goes on, the choreography gets more intricate and visual. And of course, the magic of watching it done in one take with no noticeable breaks in filming or action makes it even that much more enthralling. If you read the Seven Deadly Sins of Viral Video, you'll see this one avoids them all. (I mention the sins only because they're so painfully obvious. Please go take a look.)

I heard about this list this morning on Across the Sound episode 51 during my morning bike ride and was excited to get home and read it. Boy was I dissappointed. Written by blogger and viral video creator Kevin Nalts, the list repeats rules and ideas I found in 2005 while writing my White Paper on Viral Marketing, only in the list he discusses videos directly and offers such "tips" as "Improv acting, sloppy camera moves and poor production can actually give your video that “consumer generated video” feel."

Jaffe spotted the list on his new sponsor's blog, Fresh Glue. The new sponsor is Breulkelman Kubista Group, and judging from the way they describe the list, you'd think they'd found some sliver of genius: (It) "deserves a permanent place in the marketing lit..." They also describe it's writer, Kevin Nalty, as "a pretty sharp goofball...the dude has clearly got a resume in viral video, which is just the proof to the pudding." Um, please judge for yourself. Watch Nalty's gem, "Candy Thief."

It's funny the Breulkelman Kubista Group hold this guy up in such esteem because they trash agency.com on Jaffe's podcast for "not getting viral." I have to ask, does the Breulkelman Kubista Group get it themselves?

(The final version of the White Paper on Viral Marketing I wrote. Full disclosure: it was edited and reformatted by someone else.)

3 comments:

The Daily City® said...

Cool I will check them out. And thanks for stopping by.

The white paper I wrote eventually became the white paper at the link below. I turned in my version, then someone else did the editing. And don't ask me where my version is because I have no idea:

Mindcomet's Viral Marketing Page

Nathan Schock said...

Have you ever seen the slow guy on TV who knows something bad is being said about him, but he's not sure exactly what it is? I feel like I'm that guy because I can't quite understand your post. I'm one of the Freshglue bloggers from Breukelman Kubista Group (there's only one "l") who you seem to criticize for complementing Kevin Naltz' post on Seven Deadly Sins of Advertising Via Viral Video which "disappointed" you. I'm especially confused since you also praised his Seven Deadly Sins in a comment on the same day you posted your criticism of us. You end this post with the question: "I have to ask, does the Breulkelman [sic] Kubista Group get it themselves?" If you're asking whether or not we "get" your post, then the answer is clearly no. Please help us understand.

The Daily City® said...

Thank you for writing Nathan. I am sorry I was not clear in my post. Please let me try to answer the points you bring up.

-----I left a comment on Nalts' blog, but it was not complimentary. I said one thing positive: "Great work." It was meant to sound like "Great work, but..."

I then proceeded to call him out for two things:

(a) not knowing that Tea Par-tay was a rip off of "Lazy Sunday." He said, " I couldn’t decide if the brand was trying to appeal to the masses by spoofing preppies or try to go after the high brow market." I felt it was fairly obvious.

(b) his advice that “…Improv acting, sloppy camera moves and poor production can actually give your video that “consumer generated video” feel" was in direct opposition to the advice in tip #2 on his list.

-----You trashed Agency.com on Across the Sound ("...what they did simply served to prove that they don't understand viral...) and went into that rant about the "prick" at the cocktail party. This set me up to expect that you must understand viral video pretty darn well. Then I read your assessment of Nalts' viral video work and was shocked: "a pretty sharp goofball...the dude has clearly got a resume in viral video." All I can say is that I disagreed with your assessment and was shocked by it, after hearing how confidently you insulted Agency.com

-----Items one through four on Nalts' list repeated many lessons the marketing community should have gathered in 2005 when everyone was writing about viral marketing. It surprised me that Jaffe felt it was so worthy of attention. And, after hearing you boast on ATS, then read that you felt it "deserves a permanent place in the marketing lit..." I had to say something.

I feel my points are valid and add up to this:

I was considering applying for your company because of the extremely innovative way it was looking for talent, by going to ATS. I thought that was brilliant. But after hearing your rant on ATS and then reading your thoughts on Nalts' work and list, I changed my mind.

 
Who links to my website?