Sep 4, 2006

Combots, Starbucks Salon, Paris gets Banksy, Gawker

---Combots is IM on horse steroids. I can't try it cuz I own a Mac, but I did watch Tom and Lily, two (and i don't use this phrase lightly) enchanting animated characters who explain the service through a series of shorts. Love them! Wish I had a PC. Wait, no I don't. Wish I could try the service!

---Starbucks Salon is another idea in the works for the huge coffee company. I admire them for their willingness to experiment. The Salon is a week-ish long scheduled line-up of performers and artists. I hope the idea spreads to other locales, and that the power to cast these events is shared with local Starbucks managers, or maybe even local artistic community leaders. Starbucks is the company to resent, but I admire them for this. and their venti decafs.

---Guerilla artist "Banksy" tampered with hundreds of Paris Hilton cds in Bristol, Brighton, Birmingham, Newcastle, Glasgow and London, replacing her cd and artwork with his own featuring the "musical artist" nude with a dogs head replacing her own. I love what the HMV spokeman says:

A spokesman for HMV said...no customers had complained or returned a doctored version.

"It's not the type of behaviour you'd want to see happening very often," he said.

"I guess you can give an individual such as Banksy a little bit of leeway for his own particular brand of artistic engagement.

"Often people might have a view on something but feel they can't always express it, but it's down to the likes of Banksy to say often what people think about things.

"And it might be that there will be some people who agree with his views on the Paris Hilton album."

A spokesman for Virgin Megastores said staff were searching for affected CDs but it was proving hard to find them all.

"I have to take my hat off - it's a very good stunt," he added
How cool is that to hear the spokesman for a company that is the victim of this stunt almost applauds the artist for his work. Now that is a company in touch with the real world, unless this is a publicity stunt to sell the album.


---I haven't kept up with Gawker blogs in months. I found a link and landed on one of their pages, discovering that they donate unused ad space to artists! They accept art, link and a 100 word blurb. Very neat idea.

No comments:

 
Who links to my website?